Dimethicone is a silicone-based polymer that is frequently used as a skin protectant in skincare products. The second most common moisturising ingredient found in moisturisers after petrolatum, dimethicone has skin-conditioning properties and helps improves the skin’s softness and flexibility.
Dimethicone is regularly used in lotions, balms, nappy rash creams and hand cream.
Frequently Asked Questions About Dimethicone
What is dimethicone used for?
Dimethicone contributes to the ‘slip’ or ‘glide’ felt upon the application of a product, helping to make it spread easily. Dimethicone coats the skin, helping to moisturize by reducing water loss. Dimethicone provides skin with softness and coverage—without feeling heavy.
Who should use dimethicone?
Gentle and non-comedogenic (when applied to clean skin), Dimethicone is an effective moisturising ingredient for all skin types . As a skin protectant at certain levels, Dimethicone is especially useful for those whose skin needs an additional barrier that helps prevent moisture from escaping. Dry and rough skin may benefit from skincare products that contain dimethicone.
How is dimethicone used?
How does dimethicone work?
Dimethicone forms a barrier on the skin that helps minimizes water loss. Dimethicone also helps improve the skin’s smoothness and flexibility by filling gaps between the cells in the uppermost layer of the skin.
Can dimethicone be used on the body?
Dimethicone is a gentle, effective moisturising ingredient for both the face and body. Its helps provide long-lasting skin-smoothing benefits, ideal for areas prone to rough, dry skin such as knees, elbows, hands and feet can skin conditions.
Explore Our Ingredients
- What Is Dimethicone? | Dimethicone In Skincare | CeraVe Australia
- What is Hyaluronic Acid in Skin Care? | CeraVe Australia
- What is Glycerin? | Glycerin Benefits for Skin | CeraVe Australia
- What Is Niacinamide? | Niacinamide For Skin | CeraVe Australia
- What are Fatty Acids? | Fatty Acids for Skin | CeraVe Australia
- What is Salicylic Acid (BHA): Benefits & FAQs | CeraVe Australia
- What Is Retinol? | Retinol Benefits For Skin | CeraVe Australia
- What are Amino Acids? | Amino Acids for Skin | CeraVe Australia
- What Is Urea? | Benefits Of Urea In Skincare | CeraVe Australia
- What Is Vitamin C? | Vitamin C Benefits For Skin | CeraVe Australia